Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kile's Wednesday Night Adventure.

I did something I have never done last night. I went to a comedy club and watched stand up.
A friend of mine is in the Funniest Person in Cincinnati competition at Go Bananas in Montgomery. Last night was round 1 (I think). While there were some very funny people (my friend included), a few just didn't click with the audience.
I had always wondered "What happens when you are watching a comic live, and they just aren't funny?" Well I found out. Basically you just sit there and let them transition into what you hope will be a better joke. It is uncomfortable to say the least. While a couple of these dudes were up there struggling, I just kept thinking "These guys are putting in their time.Not everyone gets it on their first try, but that doesn't mean you should quit." I love to see people doing what they love, no matter what it is. (By the way, my friend did advance. Way to go Karl)
Perfect segway into Kile's Wednesday Night Pt. II
I dropped Stuart off back at our apartment and headed to FB's, a bar on 6th St in downtown Cincinnati  where my very dear friends in Emily & the Complexes were playing. Have I told you about them yet? E&TC at its core is Tyler Verhagen, whom I had the pleasure of meeting through my friends Brett Gregory and Tom Konitzer. They both now play with Tyler along with Jordan Finke. They are the best group of dudes I know, and we had the pleasure of sharing the stage with them at Canoes cd release show.
So they played 5 or 6 songs last night and of course, they were on it. Really tight, and the sound at the bar was actually solid as well. But the thing I love so much about these dudes (besides the amazing music) is the passion. They all have jobs at places other than the band but that doesn't matter, they drove 2 hours to play a bar in Cincinnati at 11pm despite having to work early in the morning today. That is passion lived out. It is encouraging. It is inspiring. After watching them last night I emailed Luke this morning and just told him that I want to play out more just for the sake of playing. I love it so much.
So now it is Thursday morning. I am sitting at work sipping on my Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee I made via pour over. I am talking to Brett on Facebook chat while he is at work, trying to get through the day after living the life of a rock star last night and then driving home. I can complain about a lot of things, but right now what’s the point? Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment