Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Magic Beans

Some mornings you just don’t have it. Yesterday morning was one of those.
Over the past 3 weeks I have started a schedule and have been sticking to it for the most part.
I try to go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 6am. This allows me 7 hours of good sleep and the ability to work out, eat breakfast and shower before work.
Yesterday that just wasn’t happening.
After staying out until after midnight Sunday night, I didn’t get out of bed until 6:55 at which time I threw on clothes and headed to work. While I wasn’t necessarily tired or sleepy at work, I was just in a funk. Derek and Rachel, two of my regulars came into the shop around 8:30. Derek ordered an iced pour over and Rachel an iced latte. I definitely made Rachel an iced americano and started to make Derek’s pour over hot before I realized what I was doing. I had told them about my weekend and we laughed at how discombobulated I was.
The day was not over though and after a cup of magic (aka coffee), I took a turn and started doing two things I love: buying new music and networking on the computer. Around 1:30, my friend Brian Muddamin stopped in and we drank more coffee and talked about almost everything. It was one of those conversations that when it is over you feel like your life is better because of it.
Due to not taking a lunch break, Mel let me close up shop early and I headed out around 4:30. I had a skype date with my friend Austin Livingood where we discussed all sorts of stuff, mostly pertaining to band. We are going to be working with him to get some out of town shows booked this fall. What a guy, I can’t speak highly enough about him.
Since I had neglected my workout in the morning, after I was done with skyping, I forced myself to bust it out. I was glad I did. Stuart and I ordered Thai and after consuming that we watched a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother until Luke finally woke up and texted me back.
I picked him up at his apartment and we headed to S***bucks where we sipped coffee and talked shop.
We concluded with the fact that people are often not willing to get outside themselves to find out how other people work. And that often, people will look to bring others to their level, whether this is high or low, happy or miserable, hungry or complacent. I find myself doing the same sometimes so I love conversations that help keep me in check.
Stuart was asleep when I arrived home and I headed to bed right away.
I don’t know why I included that Stuart was asleep. That seems a little creepy in hindsight. I didn’t go in and shine a light in his face, or knock on the door and whisper “Stuart, are you asleep?”. So I actually I don’t know that he was really asleep. He could have been awake. But he was home and in his room, the fan was on and Huxley had pooped on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment