Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to the Basics

First Saturday was a success. While I am sure you would love it if left it at that, I will go into more details. Also, this weekend I was made a conscious effort to take pictures, so you will see an increase, at least in the posts related to the weekend.
I slept in until about 11:30 but didn’t get out of bed for a bit. When I did, I made egg with peppers, onions, and turkey sausage and watched Due Date. Zach Galifianakis literally plays the same role that he does in The Hangover, yet it is still amusing.
Within 5 minutes of the movie ending I was asleep on the couch with my ultimate nap mate, Huxley. That dude knows how to nap.



I woke up around 4:30, I think. I headed to work to pick up my check and run to the bank, you know, First Saturday stuff.
Once back at the apartment I showered and got ready for Columbus. Stuart arrived home before I left and we talked for a bit. I ended up leaving at about 7:00pm.
The drive up to Columbus was perfect. The sky was beautiful, the air was cooling down, and there was no traffic. Something that afternoon made me want to listen to Dashboard Confessional so on the way up, I listened to several full albums including Dusk and Summer, The Shade of Poison Trees, So Impossible, and The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most.


I arrived in Columbus as emo and self reflective as one can get. Brett and Tom were out getting food, so I stopped at Cup ‘O Joe and got an iced coffee while I waited. When we all met up at their house Mike, their other roommate was hanging out and we all sat around and talked until about 9:50 at which time we headed over to Cafe Bourbon St. where Tyler was performing solo.
The opening act was a guy from Chicago name Seth Engel who performs under the name “Options”. He was actually really great, I recorded his set on my iPhone. He reminded me a lot of Ace Enders. 
Seth Engel is Options

Tyler played several songs from Styrofoam Plate Blues as well as some of his old Efficiency Demos. It was killer good, as expected. 
Tyler solo.

The other band was from Orlando and went by the name Great Deceivers. They harnessed a real cool sound with elements of Save the Day mixed in. 
Great Deceivers. 
I really enjoyed all the music from the night, it was a great show.
After the show we all hung around and talked, I picked up two cd’s and a t shirt from Great Deceivers.
We went back to the house and Mike ended up getting a call from the dudes in the bands and their lodging situation fell through and so they came over to stay at the house.
I already mentioned Seth, the guys from Great Deceivers were Max, Tre, Ben, and Josh. Super cool guys. Brett and I ended up staying up until 4:30 talking with Ben and Tre in the kitchen.
What a great First Saturday, and technically start to Second Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment